In 1925, the city commissioned accomplished Portland architect, A. E. Doyle, to design Multnomah Falls Lodge near the base of the falls. Doyle built the lodge for $40,000 in the Cascadian style using timber and every type of rock found in the Gorge. Originally the lodge had dormitories and four rooms for overnight stays but the lodging is now a distant memory. Several significant remodels and additions have occurred over the decades. The building now offers tourists a restaurant, interpretive center, gift shop, restrooms and other services.